火曜日, 10月 29

FDI, Frankfurt, and the Future: 外国直接投資、フランクフルト、未来

Last weekend, I traveled to Frankfurt to see my law school compete in the Foreign Direct Investment Moot Arbitration Competition; however, I only barely made it there. A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to meet with a partner at a firm in Amsterdam.  The meeting seemed to go well, so I emailed my professor for some advice and additional materials on commercial arbitration.  He responded with a few things to read and wrote, "see you this week in Germany."  I thought that the competition was this week, November 1st.  I checked online and sure enough, the competition was October 23-26.  I got permission to take time off from work, bought train tickets, and found an inexpensive hostel to stay at.  It all seemed to work out.  On Wednesday, I took my suitcase to work in anticipation of leaving for Germany immediately after work, but around 10:00 a.m. I got an email from the firm asking for me to come on Thursday.  At the same time, I was ecstatic about the invitation but worried about changing all of my travel plans.  With some help from my work colleagues, I changed my ticket and notified the hostel.  After work, I lugged my suitcase back to the castle and prepared to go back to Amsterdam.  The meeting in Amsterdam seemed to go well, but one never knows about how these things actually go.


Afterward, I boarded the train from Utrecht.  It was a pleasant ride down to Frankfurt.  Once at my destination, I soon realized that my hostel was in the red-light district of Frankfurt.  On top of that, the hostel looked more like a sketchy club.  The room was quite noisy as well with people coming and going at all hours of the night.  The internet at the hostel was also unbelievably slow.  I had difficulty even checking my email.  I was able to get enough intermittent signal to message my wife and some friends.  My friend who took over my old apartment contacted me to let me know that I PASSED the Massachusetts Bar Exam!  I was so excited!  I contacted my family and friends!  Even though it was nearly 2:00 a.m. I could not sleep at all.


The next day, I went to the competition to see my classmates compete.  I also had the opportunity to speak with my professors.  The team did great!  They delivered some excellent arguments and seemed to outmatch their competition.  Unfortunately, they did not advance to the next round.  Afterward, we all met up at a German restaurant.  It was very good, especially the sausages and sauerkraut.  We had a lot of fun.


The next day, I returned to The Hague.  Now I am trying to brace myself as I await the results of the New York Bar Exam.


0 件のコメント: